Locations with no good Internet (was ISP in Johannesburg)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat Feb 27 09:18:33 UTC 2010

On 02/26/2010 03:10 PM, Paul Bosworth wrote:
> I think a lot of people often forget that ISPs are actually
> businesses trying to turn a profit.

Bearing in mind that the facilities that exist in much of the rural
united states are actually there  because we collectively payed for them
rather than simply:

	waiting for the right set of economic incentives to exist

	or leaving people to suffer.

It not unlikely in some cases that the economic incentive for universal
service may never exist may never exist in some  reasons which doesn't
mean that we shouldn't do something about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_Electrification_Administration#History