[Fwd: [members-discuss] [ncc-announce] RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group]

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Feb 26 18:43:11 UTC 2010

On Feb 26, 2010, at 10:22 AM, gordon b slater wrote:
> I must admit to total confusion over why they need to "grab" IPs from
> the v6 address space? Surely they don't need the equivalent of
> band-plans for IP space? Or have I missed some v6 technical point
> totally?

The ITU Secretariat and a few member states (Syria being the most frequent) point to the inequality of distribution of IPv4 space and argue that developing countries must not be left out of IPv6 the same way.  They have also suggested that the establishment of "Country Internet Registries" (that is, national PTT-based allocation registries) could provide competition for the RIRs, thereby using market forces to improve address allocation services. (Please note that I am not commenting on these proposals, merely trying to summarize them in a non-biased way). There are a couple of papers put out by the ITU (or perhaps more accurately, ITU-funded folks) that discuss this.  If anyone cares, I can dig them up.

There is much political froth being stirred up here.

Regards,
-drc