Security Guideance

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Tue Feb 23 20:39:41 UTC 2010

On 23/02/10 15:19 -0500, Ronald Cotoni wrote:
>Quick suggestion BUT you may want to have Parallels look into it if
>you can't seem to find it since you pay for the support anyways.  You
>may also want to check to see if it is a cron job that is doing it (if
>the machine was root kitted, you may have accidentally copied a cron
>job over.  Another suggestion would be simply move half the accounts
>to one server and half to another and see if it ddoses again and keep
>doing that until you find the problem account.

I'll second that. I've found a few interesting items in my
/var/spool/cron/crontab before.

Also check your web server logs. If someone has compromised an account via
an apache/php vulnerability, it might show up in your access/error log
(I saw 'wget' in my logs once).

I assume you've checked 'last' to make sure they're not getting in via a
remote shell.

ls -ltra is your friend when finding the most recently created files in your
filesystem.

If you suspect there's a running process doing it, look through your /proc
directory, like in /proc/<pid>/environ, /proc/<pid>/cmdline, etc.

--
Dan White