Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Feb 23 05:20:01 UTC 2010

On 2/22/2010 8:42 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:
> When Somebody calls one of my "portable" telephone numbers, they don't
> get a message telling them they have to call some other number.  The get
> call progress tones.

You are confusing what is presented to the end-user with what might be going on
within the infrastructure service.

Call progress tones are the former and their primary goal is to keep the user
happy, providing very constrained information.  Especially for mobile phones,
there is often all sorts of forwarding signallying going on while you hear to tones.

In general, a core problem with the Knesset law is that it presumes something
that is viable for the phone infrastructure is equally - or at least tolerably -
viable in the email infrastructure.  Unfortunately, the details of the two are
massively different in terms of architecture, service model, cost structures and
operational skills.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker