Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Mon Feb 22 19:24:09 UTC 2010

On 2/22/2010 1:16 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX) wrote:
> smb at cs.columbia.edu:
>> I am seriously suggesting that a redirect mechanism -- perhaps the email equivalent of HTPP's 301/302 -- would be worth considering.
>
> We already have SMTP's 221 and 521 response codes for this. But because the
> response text is free-form there's no way to reliably parse out the new address.
>
> Fixing this is a bit tricky since the SMTP grammar defines <Reply-line> in
> a way that makes it difficult to return the sort of structed response you
> would need.

I don't think I know the details of the law, but I would guess that
"address portability" does not imply "the address you have reach is not
in service.  The new address is....."

--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs