Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Mon Feb 22 18:58:33 UTC 2010

On 2/22/2010 12:42 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:24:09 CST, Larry Sheldon said:
>
>> You don't note when you are taking somebody's word when they write in
>> English.
>
> Actually, we do.
>
> So tell me Larry - if I cited a Latvian web page, and gave a summary, would
> you feel comfortable blindly passing it along without mentioning the fact
> that you were unable to verify what the page said?

Yes.  If I cited it would indicate that I trusted your judgment.  I
would expect you to feel insulted if I said that in this exceptional
case I trusted you, but I didn't think that should be assumed.

> What if I quoted a web page in English that was slashdotted or otherwise
> 404'ed by the time you tried to look at it, so you never saw the page but
> only what I allegedly quoted?  Would you pass *that* along without notice
> as well? Or would you note "the page 404's for me"?

I might very well say "Valdis said...." to identify the source.  I would
not normal grade the quality of the reference.

I'm out.
--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs