Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Mon Feb 22 17:24:09 UTC 2010

On 2/22/2010 11:19 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:30:53 CST, Larry Sheldon said:
>
>>> Unfortunately the links cited are in Hebrew so I'm only going on Gadi's
>>> report here.
>>
>> Why is that relevant?
>
> For the same reason that if I cited a link that lead to a page in Latvian,
> you'd have a hard time double-checking that my 4-line summary of the page
> actually matched what the page said, so you'd have to run with my 4-line
> summary.
>
> Google Translate actually does a reasonable job at first-pass translation
> of Latvian that captures the general gist of it, but it still makes me
> facepalm on occasion.  Of course, the more critical the exact nuances,
> the more likely it is to egregiously screw up.  "It's 17C in Riga" works
> fine, but the distinction between "mandate new laws" and "recommend new policies"
> still troubles it.

You don't note when you are taking somebody's word when they write in
English.

--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs