Spamhaus...

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sun Feb 21 00:25:02 UTC 2010

I'm really amazed the thread police haven't pulled this one over and
hauled it off to jail.  The questions of when/whether/and to who bounces
should be sent is a debate for spam-l or nanae.

IMO, the original question in this thread was on-topic, but unfortunately
it got very little discussion before things devolved into "why are you
sending bounces?" and "I suppose you can't read the RFCs."

The original question, "what do you do (or have you done) when DNSBL-X
approaches you saying that your network is hitting their public NS's too
hard and wants you to pay for continued access?" is something I'd like to
see some answers to.  Despite the Subject:, Spamhaus is neither the only
DNSBL currently doing this nor the first to watch statistics on their
public NS's and approach networks asking for money and/or cutting off
access if you don't pay.

Maybe you run a mail cluster that uses DNSBL-X.  Maybe you haven't even
heard of it, but you have enough customers using it, and querying through
your caching DNS servers that your network has come up on their radar as a
"heavy user".  Telling your heavy user customers to stop using your DNS
cache probably won't help.  I know at least some of these orgs aggregate
queries either per RIR assigned CIDR or per ASN, so spreading the queries
out isn't likely to get you around the issue.

So, do you pay, and setup your own local copy of the zones?  Let them
block your servers/network and let those of your customers who care make
their own arrangements for continued access?

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |