Spamhaus...

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Feb 20 23:40:27 UTC 2010

>I don't know what your spam intake looks like but in mine, 5% to 10%
>can't be ranked "high confidence" until checked by an eyeball mark 1.
>In my system, that fraction is a candidate for a bounce...

In mine, it's a candidate for a rejection at SMTP time.

I now do nearly all of my spam filtering during the SMTP session.
There might once have been a reason to accept quickly and chew through
the mail later, but these days it all needs chewing so you might as
well do it right away.  This has the huge advantage that you can
reject unwanted mail after data with 550 FOAD rather than bouncing.

R's,
John