Spamhaus and Barracuda Networks BRBL

Dean Drako drako at barracuda.com
Fri Feb 19 00:11:09 UTC 2010

With respect to Barracuda Networks and Spamhaus.

I expect, but I do not know, that Spamhaus probes on port 25
in order to identify Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewalls and then block
their access to their RBL.  Many Barracuda customers have been
cut off without warning causing them trouble and pain.

Barracuda attempted to find a deal that would work for licensing
Spamhaus for our products, however, spamhaus's desire for money
could not be met without significantly increasing the price to
each of our customers.    They wanted us to charge the
spamhaus feed price to each of our customers.
We tried to find an arrangement for a long time.   I personally
love the work that spamhaus has done. I was disappointed that we could
not find an arrangement once they changed into a commercial entity and
started charging customers.  When they were providing a free
service we promoted them strongly, but when they started charging
the customers that really used it, we had to part ways.
It is a pity.

We recommend customers use only Barracuda's Free RBL:  "BRBL"
and this is now built into the Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewall.
http://www.barracudacentral.org/rbl

The BRBL is provided at no charge to anyone who wants to use it (even
non barracuda customers).
The BRBL has a full time staff that answers phone and email
to correct any false positives and handle removal requests -- unlike competing
services that charge money and who do not provide a staff.   We will consider
providing data feeds if anyone has interest.  We currently provide
the BRBL as a free service.  We make no claims about it being better
or worse than any other RBL.   It does use a massive amount of data in
order to determine which IP's should be on the list. Others have made claims
about its accuracy and say great things about it.  Others complain that
we unjustly block them, however, 99.9% of the people who are blocked and who contact
us find a BOT in their network.

Sincerely,

Dean Drako
CEO Barracuda Networks