Latest Cisco for small dual homed ASN

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Feb 18 22:05:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:53 PM, James Smallacombe <up at 3.am> wrote:
> I have a customer that is looking at using BGP for their network; one
> connection over a few bonded T1s, the other over a Comcast Enterprise
> connection (which supposedly will do BGP now).
>
> When I was dual homed a few years ago, a 7204VXR with 256MB was more than
> adequate.  With routing tables growing the way they are, what's a good Cisco
> based solution on the lower end of the price spectrum that should handle
> this fine for a few years?

I use 2811s in a couple of similar configurations. One of them
currently uses about 400M of the 768M ram with 4 BGP feeds and
"soft-reconfiguration inbound." Another with just one BGP feed and
soft-reconfiguration takes about 300M. Needs a minute or so to recover
from one of the BGP links dropping but otherwise it keeps up with my
light-weight traffic just fine. In both cases the packets are
cpu-switched and normal CPU load (when a link isn't collapsing or
returning) is under 10%.

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004