In wall switches

ML ml at kenweb.org
Thu Feb 18 08:55:07 UTC 2010

On 2/16/2010 12:01 PM, Jeff Kell wrote:
> On 2/16/2010 11:45 AM, Douglas K. Rand wrote:
>>> Does anyone know of anything like a small, but managed in wall switch?
>>>
>> We had looked at the 3com NJ90 for a deployment. We ended up pulling
>> more wire instead, but it was a cool device. It isn't managed. But from
>> the 3com page I see that they now have new devices, the NJ220 for
>> managed fast Ethernet, and a NJ2000 for gigE.
>>

> We have a number of NS220s out there working fine, but they are either
> EOS/EOL or their clocks are ticking.
>
> There is the NJ2000 series, but they have "issues" with management and
> proper reporting (our network management gear can't quite properly
> manage them as the NJ220s).
>
> Jeff

We've used the NJ220s here....PITA.  Maybe it's how we use them
(multicast traffic and .1q VLANs) but I could never get a consistent
view of the quantity of the NJ220s active on the subnet.  I found that
when passing a fair amount of traffic (> 10Mbps) the 3com management
widget "Central Configuration Manager" wouldn't be able to manage the
switch unless I reduced that traffic load on the port leading to the NJ220.