Spamhaus...

Jason Bertoch jason at i6ix.com
Thu Feb 18 03:18:35 UTC 2010

On 2/17/2010 5:32 PM, Laczo, Louis wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm looking for comments / suggestions / opinions from any providers that have been contacted by spamhaus about excessive queries originating from their DNS resolvers, typically, as a proxy for customers. I know that certain large DNS providers (i.e. google and level3) have either been banned or have voluntarily blocked spamhaus queries by their resolvers. We're currently in discussion with spamhaus and I wanted to see how others may have handled this.
Assuming you're already running a local caching server for your mail
system...

Based on the spamhaus fee structure (# of e-mail accounts), our policy
is to allow spamhaus to block queries from our public resolvers if they
choose.  The spamhaus folks certainly deserve compensation for their
efforts, so customers that need such volume should do so from their own
IP and pay a fee.  While I believe it might be mutually beneficial for
spamhaus to offer some sort of a recursive DNS provider/ISP fee
structure, I can see where enforcement would be a problem.  The
resolution of that particular problem belongs to spamhaus and their
individual users/customers.

/Jason