Location of upstream connections & BGP templates

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Feb 18 01:20:10 UTC 2010

On 2010.02.17 19:41, jim deleskie wrote:
> Border/Core/Access is great thinking when your a sales rep for a
> vendor that sells under power kit.  No reason for it any more.

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, I have a mix of EOL Cisco gear in my network, along with
other random custom-built software routers, HP Procurve switches etc.

To be honest, I am very pleased with what I've learnt over the course of
the last two years with my network re-design/build. In my environment,
the layered approach is working exceptionally well (and my sales skills
would have me recommend a different ISP at the drop of a dime if they
could provide what I couldn't ;)

Primarily, my transition has led me down the BCP 38 path (and it's
associated techniques/side-effects, specifically automated S/RTBH),
which aside from IPv6, is the most important thing I believe that I
could have accomplished during that time.

It would, however, be interesting to learn how the former drawbacks of
flat networks have evolved, and what new technologies make them
successful once again.

Thanks,

Steve