austin eats

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Feb 17 04:02:43 UTC 2010

> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:12:46 +0900
> From: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>
>
> is there a nanog austin eats page somewhere?  i lost my old link to some
> wiki we used to use.
>
> and, a completely unverified recco from an austin friend (who thinks
> chicken fried steak is the meat nearest heaven).

http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog48/restaurants.php

It's mostly the obvious places. Oddly, Fogo de Chao, a churrascaria
that opened a year ago is missing from the list as is my personal
favorite, the Texas Chili Parlor which is right next to the state
capitol at 1409 Lavaca. They have several types of chili, but the
specialty is the Texas Chili with steak and no beans. Real chili. The
medium will warm you well and the hot is...oh, my! (They have a release
form for those who want to try it.)

Of course, you are only a couple of blocks from 6th Street, home to all
wonderful food and live music, mostly blues, jazz and rock. Little or no
country last year when I was there.

If you have a care, the legendary Salt Lick Bar-B-Que is a few miles out
of town. Lots of good food, but most would not make my cardiologist
happy.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)