BIRD vs Quagga

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Fri Feb 12 22:51:41 UTC 2010

Fried, Jason (US - Hattiesburg) wrote:
> I was wondering what kind of experience the nanog userbase has had with these two packages.

Quagga++.

I've never tried the other.

I use Quagga for OSPF, OSPFv3 and BGP (IPv4 and IPv6). With a bit of
trickery, it fits in nicely with my RANCID setup, and what I like best
is that it (mostly) follows Cisco's command convention.

There are also very active developer and user mailing lists.

For the most part, I wouldn't know if I was writing a config for a Cisco
or for a Quagga box.

fwiw, I've also heard good things about bgpd(8) and ospfd(8), but I
haven't tried those either...zebra/Quagga just stuck.

Steve