CYMRU Bogon Peering

Mr. James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Fri Feb 12 21:21:40 UTC 2010

 	Hello All ,

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Bill Blackford wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Thomas Magill <tmagill at providecommerce.com
>> wrote:
>
>> In efforts to further protect us against threats I am considering
>> establishing Bogon peers to enable me to filter unallocated address
>> space.  I am just wondering if this is a worthwhile step to take and if
>> anyone has ran into any issues or points of concern that I may want to
>> take into account.  Thanks in advance for any input.
>>

>> Thomas Magill
>> Network Engineer
>> Office: (858) 909-3777
>> Cell: (858) 869-9685
>> mailto:tmagill at providecommerce.com <mailto:tmagill at providecommerce.com>
>> provide-commerce
>> 4840 Eastgate Mall
>> San Diego, CA  92121
>
> I've been doing this for some time on two routers injecting the null routes
> into my AS. No issues. Beats the heck out of trying to use ACLs. However,
> the prefix count is rapidly diminishing as more blocks are being released by
> the various RIRs hence being pulled from the bogon list.
> -b
 	I've a question for the CYMRU Team ,  My reasoning for posting here is
to get a much wide knowledge base .

 	Does or Is the 'Bogon Peering' Product(?) ,  Only at the IANA->RIR
allocations level ?   F.E.:  IANA has allocated 1.0.0.0/8 to RIPE .

 	Or

 	Does the product also include the actual remaining non-allocated space
at the RIR->EU level ? (**)   F.E: RIPE has allocated 1.0.1.0/24 to anubusstupidity, inc.

 		Tia ,  JimL

ps:	I am Very well aware that (so far) there is no standard format for
returned requests from *whois daemons .
| James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
| Network&System Engineer | 3237     Holden Road |  Give me Linux  |
| babydr at baby-dragons.com | Fairbanks, AK. 99709 |   only  on  AXP |