Ticket/Asset Managment system

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Fri Feb 12 16:51:05 UTC 2010

Brandon Grant (brandon) writes:
> I am currently evaluating my options for an open source trouble ticket
> management system that is based on assets (the trouble ticket is opened
> on a particular server, network element, etc.).

	Hi Brandon,

	Maybe RT (already mentioned) could do the trick -- it's a matter of
	choosing how you will set up the system, i.e.: number of queues, custom
	fields, etc...

	Since it's ticket centric, it really doesn't matter how many servers
	or assets you have.

> Also, I am hoping to
> find a tool that can tie in with SNMP software so I can have tickets
> auto-generated for certain types of SNMP traps or polling failures.

	That's not really dependent on the ticket system.  I've done this
	with Trac and RT: it's more a matter of whether the NMS platform
	allows triggers (arbitrary actions) to be tied to events, and also
	in which cases.  It's trivial with Nagios to open tickets on down
	or unreachable events.  You could even instrument the script to
	update the ticket (never close a ticket automatically!) every time
	a new event related to this equipment took place.

> 1.        OTRS.org
>
> 2.       GLIP-project.org

	You mean http://www.glpi-project.org/ -- I've heard it should be quite
	complicated to setup, but have no first hand experience myself.

	Cheers,
	Phil