The Internet Revealed - A film about IXPs v2.0: now available

Darren Bolding darren at bolding.org
Thu Feb 11 01:06:13 UTC 2010

Look, it's a very nice video, and I think it is useful and the creators
should be complimented on their work.  Overall it is something I would like
to use to educate less IP-savvy folk.

But, as a hyper-aware viewer I did detect a tone in favor of "network
neutrality" type arguments- and I suppose that is OK.

One thing I found that didn't match with my recollection is that it depicts
IXP's as a response to private peering.  My recollection was that while the
earliest peering may have been some private peering, rapidly MAE-EAST etc.
became points of major traffic sharing and large scale private
peering/interconnects were a response to the issues at the various meeting
points.

Perhaps my recollection is incorrect?

And aren't most exchanges today effectively private interconnects across a
shared L2 device?

--
--  Darren Bolding                  --
--  darren at bolding.org           --