Connectivity problems to google via openDNS

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Wed Feb 10 22:14:13 UTC 2010

On 2/9/10 3:43 PM, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> Turned out that the DNS responses from OpenDNS (they were in a
> cafe somewhere with free wireless that was using OpenDNS) were giving
> slightly wrong addresses -- like the real address for example.com was
> 192.0.2.12, and OpenDNS was giving the response that example.com was at
> 192.0.2.16 (another server in the same cluster, hence the insane confusion).
> No wildcarding or recent DNS changes at our end, either -- it was just
> OpenDNS screwing things up *somehow*.

I've never heard of such a report until now. And if true, that would be
shockingly bizarre behavior.  In the past when I've heard similar, I
have a 100% success rate in discovering it's actually a misconfiguration
of authoritative records.

Feel free to email me directly if you ever find yourself encountering a
similar situation like that again and I'll be happy to troubleshoot it.

Thanks,
David