The Internet Revealed - A film about IXPs v2.0: now available

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Feb 10 15:53:25 UTC 2010

On 10/02/2010 14:46, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> I guess we can agree to disagree then. I think it's highly biased
> towards promoting IXPs,

Uh, it was produced and paid for by IXPs for the intention of promoting
IXPs.  Why do you have an issue with this?

> and it gives the impression that private peering
> isn't settlement free and that it can't be used to do what an IXP does.
> It just doesn't say so explicitly, but implies that it is so by the flow
> of how things are said and in what order. It sets private connects
> against IXPs, and then describes all things an IXP can be used for, thus
> giving the impression that the PNI can't do this.

Call me glib, but if you can get the association of PNI providers together
to create a movie about what PNIs are and how they work, I'd be ok if they
glossed over IXPs.

> But one factual error for instance, a TCP session (a picture being
> transfrred) doesn't take multiple paths, that's just wrong to say so.

ECMP?  Per packet load balancing, even?  Again, the point they were making
is that the path from A to B is not particularly important to the data
being transferred.

Look, the creators of the movie had 5 minutes to explain something so that
regular Janes and Joes would understand, rather than 1 hour to give a nerdy
in-depth explanation of the nuts and bolts of IXPs.  Personally, I think
they did a rather good job.

Nick
(day job: contract IXP operations)