black listing of web traffic

Dylan Ebner dylan.ebner at crlmed.com
Wed Feb 10 15:35:47 UTC 2010

You mentioned this was a student network. Could it be your students are running bit torrent clients and your ISP doesn't like that so they are rate limiting you? This might explain why apple loads and facebook doesn't. I do not know much about facebooks architecture, but I would guess they would use a CDN or have their own so the facebook traffic would stay entirely in your ISP's network(less need to rate limit) and apples traffic may need to go through a peer.

Or, could it be your students are running bit torrent and exhausting the state tables on your firewall.

Dylan Ebner, Network Engineer
Consulting Radiologists, Ltd.