The Internet Revealed - A film about IXPs v2.0: now available

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Feb 10 14:46:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> And no, "omittance of important factors" is not a "factual error" in a 5
> minute video of a wide and amazingly complex topic.

I guess we can agree to disagree then. I think it's highly biased towards
promoting IXPs, and it gives the impression that private peering isn't
settlement free and that it can't be used to do what an IXP does. It just
doesn't say so explicitly, but implies that it is so by the flow of how
things are said and in what order. It sets private connects against IXPs,
and then describes all things an IXP can be used for, thus giving the
impression that the PNI can't do this.

But one factual error for instance, a TCP session (a picture being
transfrred) doesn't take multiple paths, that's just wrong to say so. So
showing a picture being chopped up in packets and sent over different
paths, well that just doesn't happen in normal operation.

> Put another way: If you think you can do better, then let's see your video.

I'm very happy someone is willing to do these kinds of videos, and if you
don't want peoples feedback, then just say so.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se