The Internet Revealed - A film about IXPs v2.0: now available

Jake Khuon khuon at neebu.net
Wed Feb 10 09:30:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 09:55 +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Jake Khuon wrote:
>
> > Excellent production.
>
> ... but still an advertisement for use of IXPs instead of private peering
> or alike. I'd say it contains several factual errors or at least omittance
> of important factors (settlement free peering in other ways than IXPs, for
> instance, is hardly mentioned).

Well, yes.  Obviously it is meant to highlight the roles of public
exchanges.  That much is obvious.  And given the source of the
production it would seem to be expected.  It did touch on private
interconnects although you're right to point out that it doesn't weigh
in on the pros and cons of public vs private peering, shared switch
fabric vs direct connections, etc.

But in a 5 min video, I wouldn't expect it to nor would I expect it to
be appropriate for its intended audience.  I didn't think this was
supposed to be a screen adaptation of Norton's peering whitepapers.

--
/*=================[ Jake Khuon <khuon at NEEBU.Net> ]=================+
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | -------- |