lawful intercept/IOS at BlackHat DC, bypassing and recommendations

andrew.wallace andrew.wallace at rocketmail.com
Mon Feb 8 21:08:24 UTC 2010

 On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:37 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> You apparently fail to understand that making other people's research well
> known in the community is an important role.  Would we be more secure, or
> less secure, if somebody did the research, but then nobody told the owners
> of all that Cisco gear about it? (Hint: "pwned router" is never a good
> day for the network provider)
>
> Or would we as a community be more safe, or less safe, if <trollbait> SANS
> didn't do security traning courses </trollbait>?
>
>> Andrew
>
>> Security consultant
>
> Is that what you're calling yourself these days?

They cater for mostly the public sector, doing a SANS course does not make you *SAFE* it just means you have an understanding of current trends and be able to take mitigation. It is not a sure-shot way to be secure, you need to have years of hands-on experience in security.

You can't walk out of SANS courses and be a security professional, you need to have a lot more than that.

I started Cyber Security from my basement back in 1999 as an 18 year old, I am now 29 years old and am doing independent security consultancy work here in the UK for multiple global vendors.

I have various titles and skills, security researcher, ethical hacker, security consultant, any of them can be used as those are the qualifications i've achieved over the years. It's not unusual in the security community for one person to fall into more than one category or be qualified to undertake more than one role.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Security Consultant