Adopt‐an‐Haitian‐Internet‐technician‐or‐facility

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Mon Feb 8 18:04:48 UTC 2010

Steve,

Hmm. Are there other requests like this one? I suppose the pilot's
associations may be trying to raise money to fix the secondary
airfields -- a note from a member of Congress who's significant other
has been shuttling a Cessna and stand-alone early relief payloads from
the US VI to secondary fields in Haiti made me think of that as
another social affiliation targeted activity. I'm sure others are
possible.

There is the general problem of control, one reason the IRC contacted
CORE was to investigate a .redcross so that they could reduce their
loss to disaster fraud. Of course, we have to wait on ICANN to get a
.redcross or .icrc or ... .ouch into the root so that it becomes more
generally useful as a trusted sink of private and public packetized cash.

Then there is the specific problem of opportunity. We didn't wait
until FEMA authorized us to begin work when Katrina impacted the NOLA
and surrounding area, and if had, more would have died than did. As
we, who are not in the humanitarian relief line of work, look at the
loss of our peers, do we act, or do we leave specific tasks to the
general relief agencies?

I don't have a "best answer" and I'm aware that aid is difficult, for
all involved.

Eric