Small Network Equipment Shipping boxes

Herb Leong herb at tomobiki.urusei.net
Sun Feb 7 10:15:53 UTC 2010

Andrew Konkol wrote:
#
# Gurus,
#
# Where I work we ship our own gear.
# That being said, we've run out of 1U shipping boxes for cisco gear.
#
# I've searched the list archives, uline, as well as a few other
# shipping material websites and cannot find an acceptable shipping box
# with foam inserts.
# I would like a corrugated cardboard box with foam supports for
# shipping 1U cisco gear (3550s, 4948s, etc..)
# I was wondering if anyone has sourced a good shipping box?
#
# I apologize if this topic has been brought up before and my search
# didn't find the thread.
#
#
# Thanks,
# -a

Hi,

If your company has a presence in a 3rd party data center, you may want to give the loading dock/trash pile at the data center a look for discarded boxes.

Does it have to have foam inserts?  I've used whatever box was available from wherever and wrapped enough bubble wrap around the 1U to make it snug in the box.

If worse comes to worse, you could always ask (and pay) cisco for a shipping kit.  I know they offer shipping kits for larger devices and it stands to reason they would sell kits for 1U devices.

/herb