BFD over p2p transport links

Phil Bedard bedard.phil at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 05:20:54 UTC 2010

We use it on all of our links which are generally over our own DWDM/dark fiber network.  All links are 10G LAN PHY.  Our DWDM systems propagate link failures but one of the main reasons we implemented it was our router vendors did not drop link during reboots during software upgrades.  GR wasn't supported in those cases.  We have had some issues with false positives but overall it has been running fairly stable for over a year.  I've found the same issue with another router vendor where after an upgrade you may have to reload a line module, and the module does not drop link during a reload...

Phil