BFD over p2p transport links

Serge Vautour sergevautour at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 5 14:45:50 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm being asked to look into using BFD over our P2P transport links. Is anyone else doing this? Our transport links are all 10G Ethernet (LAN-PHY). There's no alarming inside of LAN-PHY like there is in SONET. The transport side should propagate a fiber break by stopping to send light on both ends. This is enough to cause the router interfaces to drop and for protocols to converge.

Since LAN-PHY doesn't have any built end-end alarming, some folks believe that we may encounter situations where a fiber break doesn't cause interfaces do go down. Convergence would then have to wait for IGP hellos to detect the problem.

Is anybody else running BFD over 10G LAN-PHY transport links? Any comments around BFD for this application in general?

Thanks,
Serge