Mitigating human error in the SP

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Thu Feb 4 23:13:30 UTC 2010

On 2/4/2010 3:30 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:

> A recent organizational change at my company has put someone in charge
> who is determined to make things perfect.  We are a service provider,
>
> isn't a common occurrence, and the engineer in question has a pristine
> track record.
>
> This outage, of a high profile customer, triggered upper management to
> react by calling a meeting just days after.  Put bluntly, we've been
> told "Human errors are unacceptable, and they will be completely
> eliminated.  One is too many."
>

>> From experience...
>
> At one point this will become overwhelming.  You'll wake up every morning dreading going to
> work instead of looking forward to it.  Chain shot will be put in the 'blame cannon' and
> blasted regularly and at everyone.  Update your resume and get everything in place just in
> case it gets to the point you can't take it anymore sooner than you expect.  ;-)

This is a golden opportunity.

Prepare a pan for building the lab necessary to pre-test EVERYTHING.

Cost it out.

Present the cost and the plan in a public forum or widely distributed
memorandum (including as a minimum everybody that was at the meeting and
everybody in the chain(s) of command between you and the edict giver.

--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs