How polluted is 1/8?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Feb 4 19:30:31 UTC 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 1:27 PM, Kevin Loch wrote:

> Mirjam Kuehne wrote:
>> Hello,
>> After 1/8 was allocated to APNIC last week, the RIPE NCC did some measurements to find out how "polluted" this block really is.
>> See some surprising results on RIPE Labs: http://labs.ripe.net/content/pollution-18
>> Please also note the call for feedback at the bottom of the article.
>
> The most surprising thing in that report was that someone has an AMS-IX
> port at just 10 megs.  It would be nice to see an actual measurement of
> the traffic and daily/weekly changes. A breakdown of the flow data by
> source ASN and source prefix (for the top 50-100 sources) would also be
> interesting.

There was a call on the apnic list for someone to sink some of the traffic.

I'd like to see someone capture the data and post pcaps/netflow analysis, and possibly just run a http server on that /24 so people can test if their network is broken.

I've taken a peek at the traffic, and I don't think it's 100's of megs, but without a global view who knows.

- Jared