google contact? why is google hosting/supporting/encouraging spammers?

Jim Mercer jim at reptiles.org
Thu Feb 4 07:12:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 12:35:06PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> abuse at gmail.com maybe? Looks like some random spammer based in Dubai
> judging by the airport code.

yeah, tried that several times.  seems to go to a black hole.

i've engaged the spammer, and they are telling me that they feel it is ok to
subscribe people to their group, because it sends out a subscription notice,
as well as an unsubscribe link.

they seem to be quite happy to use an @gmail account, and use google groups to
propagate their spam.

most recently, i got from them: "Yes you are right, you can complain to Google, but to complain, you have a right email address, because this address we don't have listed."

so, they are not concerned about being reported to google.

very odd.

is this a legitimate google groups activity?

someone can set up and say "well, yeah, he musta gone to one of our websites
or something, how else would he get on our list?"

and google is ok with that?

geez, "do no harm"

really?

--jim

--
Jim Mercer        jim at reptiles.org        +92 336 520-4504
"I'm Prime Minister of Canada, I live here and I'm going to take a leak."