How polluted is 1/8?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Feb 3 20:53:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Larry Sheldon wrote:

> On 2/3/2010 2:19 PM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
>
>>  I could see holding those prefixes aside for research purposes (spam
>>  traps, honey pots, etc...).
>
> I think it is too bad that we didn't have the forethought to route all of
> those networks to 100-watt resistors some years ago.
>
> When I last was admin of a small-corner of the world I routed a lot of that
> kind of traffic (I don't remember it 1/? was part of that or not) to the null
> interface.

If some unfortunate soul does get 1.1.1.1, 1.2.3.4, 1.3.3.7, etc, they
would also likely experience significant global reachability problems in
addition to all of the unintended noise that gets sent their way.

There are many sites that specifically filter those addresses, in
addition to those that don't update bogon filters, or assume "no one
will _ever_ get 1.2.3.4!" :)

jms