Research Project: Internet capacity during pandemic events

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Wed Feb 3 16:18:50 UTC 2010

Mike,

Is your interest events like the recent semi-non-event with H1N1,
where for contagation management, workforce labor and school age
children were not compulsorily aggregated, or morbidity and mortality
effects on network operator labor for an event such as the dispersal
of a weaponized biological?

Restated, is your interest bursty behavior on the edge (houses of
workers at big box employers X,Y,Z), rather than at the core (big box
employer X,Y,Z), or how do network operators plan continuity as the
skilled labor available count goes to zero?

We sort of had the latter exercise over the past three weeks in Haiti,
where fuel, food, and families assumptions about operational readiness
were tested, and only just kept above zero.

Eric