ip address management

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Wed Feb 3 12:51:20 UTC 2010

On 02/02/2010 21:14, Scott Berkman wrote:
> I was about to suggest IPPlan, but it is lacking the V6 support.  Here is
> one I found doing some searching, but I haven't used it myself:

We use IPPlan for ipv4 and a fairly flexible, but less fully featured
management program called vim for ipv6.

Migrating our data out of ipplan to something else is a flashpoint that
can lead to error, but we might have to do that.

It looks like the lack of ipv6 support in ipplan is partly due to the
maintainer not wanting to support it, so we might be tempted to (if the
license permits) fork the project and hack in support.  We have hacked
it a lot already to build user-based containment between resources, so
that we can have a vlan schema for many networks, and many customers
(with their own logins, and only visability of their own subnets) in the
same instance.  If we hack v6 support in, we could release the finished
project - I think there was opposition to doing that thus far because
the developer was embarrassed about some of the hacks ;-)

Andy