Mitigating human error in the SP

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Tue Feb 2 19:11:25 UTC 2010

On 2/2/2010 11:33 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:
> We have solved 98% of this with standard configurations and
> templates.
>
> To deviate from this requires management approval/exception approval
> after an evaluation of the business risks.
>
> Automation of config building is not too hard, and certainly things
> like peer-groups (cisco) and regular groups (juniper) make it
> easier.

Those things and some of the others that have been mentioned will go a
very long way to prevent the second occurrence.

Only training, adequate (number and quality) staff, and a
quality-above-all-all-else culture have a prayer of preventing the first
occurrence.  (For sure, lots of the second-occurrence-preventers may be
part of that quality first culture.)

--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs