Mitigating human error in the SP

James Downs egon at egon.cc
Tue Feb 2 17:46:03 UTC 2010

On Feb 2, 2010, at 9:33 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> We have solved 98% of this with standard configurations and templates.
>
> To deviate from this requires management approval/exception approval
> after an evaluation of the business risks.

I would also point Chad to this book: http://bit.ly/cShEIo (Amazon
Link to Visual Ops).

It's very useful to have your management read it.  You may or may not
be able to or want to use a full ITIL process, but understanding how
these policies and procedures can/should work, and using the ones that
apply makes sense.

Change control, tracking, and configuration management are going to be
key to avoiding mistakes, and being able to rapidly repair when one is
made.

Unfortunately, most management that demands No Tolerance, Zero Error
from operations won't read the book.

Good luck.. I'd bet most of the people on this list have been there
one time or another.

Cheers,
-j