Fiber Cut in CA?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Feb 2 04:40:24 UTC 2010

> From: Michael J McCafferty <mike at m5computersecurity.com>
> Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:29:24 -0800
>
> Michael,
> 	We saw routes change on Level3's network about 13:40 PDT today. Routes
> from San Diego to Phoenix now go up to SJC, to Denver, to Dallas, to
> Phoenix. Some customers trying to reach us from Cox in Phoenix had some
> issues where Cox and Level 3 peer. Overall, *we* are not down, anywhere,
> but increased latency.
>
> The most recent info we have is:
>
> Notes : *** CASCADED EXTERNAL NOTES 02-Feb-2010 02:40:44 GMT spottsta
> >From CASE: 3900562 - Event
> > 02:05 GMT  Field Services is in the process digging in the Junction
> box at this time. Testing will begin when fiber is accessible.
> >
> > 02:23 GMT  Field Services has access to the fiber in the junction box
> and has begun testing fiber at this time.
> >
> > 02:33 GMT  Field Services has isolated fiber cut to approximately
> 3,000 feet out from their current location at a construction site. They
> are attempting to gain access to the site at this time. Field
> Technicians are currently walking the route trying to determine a
> restoration plan.
> >
> > Case Status: Analysis in Progress
>

> On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 21:17 -0600, Micheal Patterson wrote:
> > Anyone have any info on a current issue with a feed apparently being cut between AZ and CA that's causing problems for Cox customers by chance?

The cut is a complete cut of a 108 fiber bundle between Yuma, AZ and El
Centro, CA. L3 reports it is a very isolated area with no roads, making
any access very difficult and slow. The last estimate we received at
23:37 EST (20:37 PST) was 3-4 more hours with the proviso that "Estimate
may change depending on circumstances on-site."
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)