5.7/5.8 GHz 802.11n dual polarity MIMO through office building glass, 1.5 km distance

Anonymous List User semi.anonymoususer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 04:48:13 UTC 2010

For architectural and building management reasons we cannot mount our
antennas in a rooftop or outdoor location at either end.  The distance
between two buildings is 1.5 km, and the fresnel zone is clear.  Antennas
need to be located indoors at both ends and will be placed on small speaker
stand tripod pointing at windows.  This has been done successfully before
with 2.4 GHz 802.11g equipment and a link from an office in the Westin to a
nearby apartment building, but I am unsure of what effect glass will have on
5 GHz.  Has anyone tried this?

The goal of this link is to achieve a 10 Mbps+ full duple bridge to a
building which is only serviced by ADSL2+ Telus service in a Western
Canadian city.  Telus' upstream speed offering do not exceed 1 Mbps.

Equipment.  These have been used successfully for MCS13/MCS14 50 Mbps+
bridges at 11 km distance between towers.

http://ubnt.com/nanobridge

http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/nb5_datasheet.pdf