Muni Fiber Last Mile - a contrary opinion

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 09:39:35 UTC 2010

On 12/23/10 12:27 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> I was poking around to see what the current received wisdom was as to
> average install cost per building for suburban municipal home-run fiber,
> and ran across this article, which discusses the topic, and itemizes
> several large such deployments that "failed" or had to be sold private.
>
> I'd be interested to see what comments nanogers have on this piece. I'm
> not well enough read to critically evaluate the guy's assertions.
>
> http://www.digitalsociety.org/2010/03/why-municipal-fiber-has-not-succeeded/

Always consider the source.

Didn't we just have a George Ou cite that was debunked on this list?
   Subject: RE: Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast's Actions

Reminder: ITIF is an ultra-conservative, anti-government outfit:
   http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2009-November/015552.html

ITIF doesn't give out information about its funding, which usually means
it's industry lobbyist funded.  Apparently in this case, big cable and
probably big telco.