Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Dec 21 18:01:13 UTC 2010

In a message written on Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:47:45PM -0500, David Sparro wrote:
> I still think that the link shows that the factors are more economic
> than regulatory.  As you point out, even where the regulatory obstacles
> have been overcome, it is not clear that Verizon ever actually did their
> overbuild to become a third triple-play provider.

It's not so simple.

There are pure regulatory issues, like getting a franchise license to
provide video services.

There are pure economic issues, like being able to afford the fiber and
optics and such.

Then there is a mess in the middle.  For instance in the early
2000's DC changed its rules for permitting duct installation.
Previously if you wanted to dig up a street you applied for a permit
and did just that.  However too many streets were being dug up too
many times in a row, and residents screamed.  The city changed it
so to dig up a street you had to post what you were going to dig
up like 90 or 180 days in advance, and if someone else wanted the
same route you were required to install conduit for them in the
same trench at cost when you did it.  [My understanding is the rules
have since been altered again, so I'm likely not up to date.]

Is that a regulatory obstical, since it's government rules?  Is
that an economic obstical, since it just raises costs?