Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Dec 20 20:44:33 UTC 2010

On Dec 20, 2010, at 11:37 AM, George Bonser wrote:

> [...]
In the vast majority of cases, these are not equal competitors.

The vast majority of residences are more than 5,000 and a good majority
are more than 10,000 cable feet from the CO.

This means that average DSL speeds are sub-T1.

Most cable systems can deliver at least 10mbps/3mbps.

That's not competition unless your internet needs are extremely
modest and you are willing to accept some rather severe limitations.

I remember when I was on top of the world because I had T1 service
to my home and I used an average of 200kbps. Those days are long
gone. Today I get more than 200kbps in SPAM traffic.

Owen