Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Rettke, Brian Brian.Rettke at cableone.biz
Mon Dec 20 20:16:31 UTC 2010

So, we seem to circle the same points:

1. Who pays for the infrastructure to support the increased bandwidth requirements?

        Comcast and most ISPs want the content provider to do so, since they are collecting fees for the service and they are not, but still have to pay for the bandwidth (maintenance and upgrades).

        The customer is being billed twice: First to get access to the Internet to reach services, and then for the service offered by the content provider. The concern is that all customers, regardless of the services they select, will end up paying for the upgrades if the ISP has to/does raise rates. This makes the customer using the bandwidth-intensive application happy, and the other customers not using it unhappy.

        The content provider pays for Internet access, and in some cases puts in proxies to cache closer to the source. They do not pay the end customer ISP for service (assuming different providers in play). The content provider receives revenue for its services.

The problem is still that someone has to support and build infrastructure. Some believe that Internet streaming video is the direction we are headed in, and that does appear to be true. But there are still a lot of customers that are not using this service, effectively subsidizing the customers using this service. This can be irksome, because most customers are unwilling to go back to a "pay for what you use plan" after having unlimited access. I think that would really put the pressure on both customers and content providers alike to be more efficient.

I understand that the goal is for the customer to get what they want on demand, but that will never be a reality, for anyone, anywhere. I'd love to see content providers continue the push towards more efficient technologies and architecture, but there is no impetus for them to do so unless they have a financial reason. The same is true for the ISP and the customer.

Bottom line:

Customers need to think about the purchase of content (considering each one as a transaction that has value) more. Not as a worrisome, "bill will be enormous" way, but assigning value to it nonetheless.

Content Providers need to continue upgrading methodologies, compression, and technologies in order to make their service a smooth, efficient "essential object." This will help keep any one service from overwhelming the rest, which is the bane of every service provider/transit provider.

Service/Transit Providers need to re-evaluate their bandwidth offerings to customers, their relationships with content providers, and with each other. The model is very inefficient and political. The only way to be competitive seems to be, as someone said, to provide a solid Layer 1-3 platform that will drive innovation at layers 4-7.

At least, that's my perspective on it.

Sincerely,

Brian A . Rettke
RHCT, CCDP, CCNP, CCIP
Network Engineer, CableONE Internet Services