UN mulls internet regulation options

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Mon Dec 20 14:52:19 UTC 2010

On 12/19/10 8:28 PM, John Curran wrote:

> ... I also intervened twice requested clarification of exactly how a government-only decision body for Internet policy would fulfill the "consultation with all stakeholders" paragraph specified in the Tunis agenda. The answer from several countries was not encouraging, suggesting the consultation could be done in the UN manner through their Member State delegations.  This government-only view is being asserted by several countries, but India, Brazil, South Africa and Saudi Arabia are carrying it most strongly ...

john (et al),

not that my year as a regional officer within the at-large advisory
committee of icann is a pedestal much grander than an acronym to
laborious declaim, but the fundamental claim for the at large is to
provide an institutional means for public interests not necessarily
addressed by national governments, nor necessarily addressed by other
supporting organizations or advisory committees, in the curious
public-private multi-stakeholder model ira magaziner stuck us with.

india abandoned public control of the .in name space, providing the
operational franchise to afilias, a for-profit registry services
provider who's facilities are located in north america.

south africa is currently in the process of re-organizing the .za name
space, having issued a tender for consulting, won by ausreg, a
for-profit registry services provider who's facilities are located in
australia. while this is not a complete retreat from public control of
a public resource, as in the case of india, the rfp proposed a
subsequent rfp which would similarly transfer operational control to a
for-profit registry services provider.

brazil's public name space operator is, to the best of my knowledge,
is reasonably well-informed of the outstanding issues in the icann
experience in a public-private multi-stakeholder model, and reasonably
content with the icann instance of this model. fix yes, break no.

saudi arabia presents a more nuanced case, at icann. the state is
aware that the ratio of arabic langauge content "on the net" is not
proportional to the ratio of arabic language speakers. this is the
focus of a government initiated program. the state, through the league
of arab states, has published an rfi for contractors to operate a pair
of name spaces, "arabi" in arabic script, and "arab" in latin script.
the adoption of the country code name spaces by the aggregate members
of the league of arab states, all of which have significant
administrative costs to would-be registrants, is less than the
adoption of the .ir name space, which has a healthy and competitive
(though consolidation is taking place for market economic reasons)
registrar regime, and vastly less effective "statist" administrative
cost to would-be registrants. in sum, the state is aware that
"statist" approaches to arabic language uptake and operational
investment in infrastructure compare poorly to alternatives. in other
areas, from wireline to wireless voice, to petroleum, that state uses
non-state resources to promote public policy goals.

as the gac is working more closely with the alac than at any prior
point in the past, and the gac has vigorously and overtly represented
private interests (primarily trademark holders), the "governments
only" model advanced elsewhere seems ... largely uninformed by the
operational practice of a working policy body with significant
government participation as governments.

> I hope this helps provide some context as you requested.

it provides some specific questions to pursue. note that there will be
an intersessional meeting arising from the gac's formal notice to the
board that it considered its advice on two subject areas to have been
rejected by the board, triggering the icann bylaws.

are the respective wsis++ folks are not in sync with the respective
icann++ folks?

granted, almost all of this is on the names side of the {addr,asn,dns}
triple that icann is self-or-other-tasked to administer, so the v6 and
rir bits are mostly not addressed.

thanks for the pointers, i'll catch up on the wsis bits i've ignored
for most of a decade, but it will be in my spare time, and there are
so many people in wsis i find less pleasant company than a room full
of trademark lawyers.

eric

p.s. the acronym to laborious declaim comes with no other benefits, so
someone with travel nickles will have to cover the june wsis in
geneva. as i don't work for core any longer i can't wrangle a trip to
check on the fondue supplies or the secretariat operations or ...