"potential new and different architectural approach" to solve theComcast - L3 dispute

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Dec 17 23:32:21 UTC 2010

On 12/17/2010 12:45 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> But content providers already pay more for their 'service' than the typical asymmetric-towards-the-customer bandwidth user does.

Agreed, though I think they pay less than most eyeball networks pay (the
ISP, not the user), depending on where they host it (we have a lot of
hauling we have to do).

I'd also note, that the Internet is continuing to push more towards
blurring the lines of content provider/eyeball, as p2p continues to be
deployed with more technologies and for more uses. As households are
constantly on, there is benefit in the household hosting content which
can be reached directly by those you are sharing it to. As the market
shifts to containing a larger market share of households with symmetric
bandwidth, we can expect to see this improve (asymmetric last miles has
hindered many innovations).

Jack