"potential new and different architectural approach" to solve the

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Fri Dec 17 17:28:09 UTC 2010

On Dec 17, 2010, at 11:23 AM, Joe Greco wrote:

> How effective have variations on hot potato routing been, historically?
> I seem to recall Cogent made lots of noises early on about how they
> could do hot potato routing to encourage peering, but over the years
> that didn't seem to pan out that way.

I can't comment on Cogent...  But, in general: hot-potato reduces network costs but doesn't eliminate them--more capacity is still required to carry more traffic.  The goal is to balance out the cost, assuming the traffic is of adequate value (or equal value, ideally) to both networks.

Cheers,
-Benson