OT - NO (Non-Operational) Question

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Dec 17 07:14:07 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----

I could be wrong, but I think the actual question was "is it realistic
to assume a text to a cellphone came from the number it *says* it came
from?" and I think the answer is "no, there are a few ways to spoof it".

Received SMS messages are probably not evidentiary, absent a report from
the receiving carrier of the message traffic log involved, which would
itself be hearsay unless someone testified about it.

Cheers,
-- jra