Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Dec 16 20:13:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 02:48:56PM -0500, Randy Epstein wrote:

> I was in the IRC channel at the time and saw it.  It's real.
>
> I don't support the posting of IRC logs, but can't control that either.

I saw it too. I don't support posting of IRC logs trying to get people
"in trouble" (though lord knows it wouldn't be the first time that has
happened :P), but I also completely disagree with Comcast's position on
this (big shocker, I know).

As one of the people who has spoken out against Comcast's actions the
most vocally, I suppose the original sentiment might very well be
targeted at me. Personally I really don't think that people on the NANOG
list posting about their network issues or actions has ANYTHING to do
with their sponsorship of the NANOG conferences or community, and I
suppose I should be shocked and appalled that it might come down to
these type of threats to silence people who have something negative to
say. I'm a Comcast customer too (50M/10M or 6M/768K DSL at home, gee,
decisions decisions :P), what are they going to do next, shut off my
cable modem for TOS violations? :)

Seriously guys, this is an operator forum and you're running a congested
network, to expect that people are not going to comment on those facts
just because you've put money into NANOG sponsorship is absurd.