Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Mikel Waxler dooser at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 15:17:04 UTC 2010

I disagree with this theory.

If customers pay comcast for bytes then eventually the upstream (L3) will
want some of that revenue. That revenue will be passed onto the provider as
a lower bill.

This encourages Netflix to send more bytes, because if they do Comcast and
L3 get paid more and Netflix's bill goes down. The income stream is now
completely dependent on how much money the customer can pay. Sure other
services (Hulu, Youtube, etc) could step in and offer lower usage but
customers are MUCH more likely to pick based on available content then an
abstract "we use N bytes per month fewer then that guy". Also, if income is
dependent on sending more bytes, provider usage will creep up as far as they
can get push it while still keeping customers.

In comparison, does the average person pick their mobile provider based on
how many minutes they get or if they get coverage at their house. Keep in
mind that all providers are within ~10% of each other on pricing. Where do
we see costs in mobile going? How much is a text message these days? That is
what happens when the user pays for bytes.

If the provider pays for transport then the amount of data going over wires
is dependent on that providers customer base. The cost of transport now
scales directly with size of business. Netflix or Hulu are now directly
responsible for their costs which motivates them to be efficient.

Comcast can now charge its customers only for upkeep of its network and use
the income they get as an "end point delivery network" to offset customer
cost. Comcast's cost, which are upkeep and expansion of its physical
network, now scale proportionally with its customer base.

So in this model, customers pay for the laying of the wire to their house
and the upkeep of that wire, which is a 1:1 ratio for the consumer/comcast.
Providers (Netflix) pay per byte to the transport providers. Transport
providers make thier money off providing transport.

Income and cost of doing business for Netflix is directly tied to their
subscriber base so it is easy for them to balance their income.

Of course, I am not an economist and could be entirely wrong. There are
certainly other HUGE political factors, but I think in theory we would all
be happier if the system worked by someone paying for a postage stamp then
COD.