Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Dec 15 22:09:11 UTC 2010

On 12/15/2010 3:51 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:

> That depends on your definition of 'never'.  You can oversell your
> network capacity...everyone does...and not run with the pipes full 99%
> or better of the time.

At max capacity, we'd run roughly double our total transit capacity, yet
we rarely exceed 70% of N+1 bandwidth before upgrading. Perhaps my model
doesn't scale when people utilize multiple 10G, though, as I know I have
several burstable 10G available for special events and such as a just in
case option. The price of 100G interfaces currently is still too high
for someone to actually want a burstable 100G circuit with only a 30 or
50 gig commit.

Jack